Down To Postal Changes
Inside UK Only 1st Class Address Stamp Please Outside UK
$2, Self addressed envelope or addressed lable Please
No more IRC sorry , there being discontinued!!
No S.A.E / Postage NO Direct Return.
SWL reports welcome ……Don’t Do Eqsl's.
QSL Manager MIØMOD
The majority of volunteers working at Grey Point Fort are also Licensed Amateur Radio Operators, a hobby that allows us to use different disciplines of communication to other amateur radio stations worldwide. We come from all walks of life, movie stars, missionairies, doctors, students, politicians and just plain people like ourselves, but we all have one common interest - In radio communications Age, nationality, disability, political and ethnic barriers are non-existent in our hobby and we all strive to promote international friendship and understanding throughout the world. We have two Amateur Radio Stations set up at Grey Point Fort, one setup within the Radio Museum and the other setup on the lower floor of the Battery Observation Post and operate under the special callsigns of GB0GPF or MN0GPF : Thomas (MI0MOD) & Roy (GI4TUV) operating the Amateur Radio Station at the Fort.
Grey Point Fort was built between 1904 and 1907 for £8400. Two six inch breech loading guns were mounted and tested during May 1907. During the First World War the Fort was manned by the Antrim Royal Garrison Artillery (Special Reserve). Between the First and Second World Wars , two searchlight emplacements were built and several other modifications carried out within the fort.
During the Second World War, as in the First the role of Grey Point Fort was to protect Belfast Lough from Naval attack. When a ship entered the Lough, it would have been contacted by coastal defense to make itself known. If there was no answer the ship was signalled to "Heave to or be sunk".
1. The Quarters were built at the time the original battery was established to house the Master Gunner or the staff responsible for the maintenance of the armament.
2. The Engine House housed a diesel generator for the searchlights and the internal lighting at the fort.
3. The Gates into the fort were the only entrance. The walls were originally surmounted by a tall iron fence. This fence along with various trenches around the fort are still visible today.
4. The Store was used for guns: machine guns- two 4.5 inch Howitzers- for defense against shore based attack (Second World War) and latterly two 25-pounder saluting guns.
5. The Battery was armed with two 6-inch breech loading guns,MarkVII, emplacements 100 feet apart, with angled reinforced concrete glacis sloping to seaward. In 1940 gun houses were added to give protection against air attacks.
6. The Battery Observation Post was the tactical headquarters of the Battery Command.
7. The Fire Commander Post was the tactical headquarters of the Fire Commander who had operational command of gun batteries.
8. The Radar Platform was built in 1953, and Anti-Aircraft Radar No3, MK11 was installed in 1954. It was removed in 1956 when the fort closed.
The barrel of each gun was 23ft 3inches long and weighed 7 tonnes. They were capable of firing a 100lbs cast steel shells up to 6 miles.
We now have a Radio Museum with radio's dating from 1940 to Present.
There is also displays of uniforms and other items from the wars
Thank you for looking us up and we hope to hear you again on the bands soon.