QSL MANAGER FOR PAPER CARDS IS G6XOU either direct or via Bureau
GB6WLB (Walton Life Boat)
QTH of this station is Walton on the Naze in Essex
Many thanks to Nigel Pepper for the QSL photo.
Also to Pete Rayer ISWL G-13038 for the QSL card layout.
This station will be operating from January 19th. for 9 days for as much of the day as possible.
All HF bands with the exception of Top band and the VHF bands, as and when they are open.
Modes SSB and PSK31.
All logs will be uploaded to Eqsl, a paper card is also available to all contacts made, on a QSLR basis.
Walton on the Naze is a pretty little seaside town, with a very nice beach, situated on the east coast of Essex.
It is roughly half way between Clacton on Sea and the very busy port of Felixstowe
Probably the most prominant feature is the Naze Tower, at 86 feet in height and is thought to be the only one of its kind in the world.
Built in 1721 it is octaginal in shape and has eight floors, originally built as a marker for ships in the days before lighthouses became common place.
In the early 20th. century, radio antenna's were mounted on the top in an attempt at long distance transmission.
Today the tower is in the onwership of a local resident,it now has an art gallery over the higher floors, with a very nice cafe on the first two floors.
Walton also has the third longest pier in the UK, first built in 1830 to accomadate paddle steamers, it has been extended several times and is now 790 metres in length
Walton on the Naze is also not far from the major shipping lanes in the North Sea,
The first Lifeboat was stationed at Walton in 1884, this lifeboat was a 37 x 9 feet self righter, built by Forrest of Limehouse at a cost of £394.00.
Service record 84 launches,132 lives saved.
Next came the James Stevens, this was a 43' Norfolk and Suffolk class 1900 to 1928, built by Thames Iron Works at Canning Town.
After its service to the RNLI it had a varied life, harbour launch, private yacht and houseboat, it was then returned to Walton in 1998 where she is being fully restored as the oldest surviving motor lifeboat.
Next came the Emed 1928 to 1953, this was a 43' x 13' boat built by J. S. White of Cowes I.O.W. She was one of the RNLI lifeboats that went to Dunkirk to ferry troops from the harbours to the large troop ships
Service record 185 launches, 218 lives saved
From 1953 to 1977 the Edian Courtauld a 46' x 12' was Waltons lifeboat. 277 launches, 143 lives saved
Then came the City of Birmingham, 1983 to 1993 built by Camper and Nicholson of Portsmouth, her two most notable launches were to the radio ships moored off this coast, Radio Caroline and the Ross Revenge, after 1993 she was sold to Uruguay and operated out of Puerto De Colonia for many years.
Since then up until 2007 there have been two other lifeboats stationed at Walton.
On 26/05/2011. The Duke of Kent named the new Tamar Class boat at Walton.
This lifeboat has a speed of up to 25 knots and a range of 250 nautical miles, it also has computerised Systems and information Management Systems (SIMS). so many of the lifeboats functions are controlled remotely by the crew from the safety of their seats.
The lifeboat at Walton is now stationed in the water behind a transom door near the end of the pier, so is always ready for immediate deployment.
The picture on both the EQSL card and the paper card is of the above lifeboat at Walton.
Last modified: 2013-01-24 19:20:28, 3952 bytes fetched
This user has no active logs
Does this page contain inappropriate content? If so, Report this page...