Check out www.aa4xg.com for a history of the Georgia Tech Radio Club.
Homecoming at the Georgia Tech Radio Club will be October 24, 2015. Come early and work the station starting around 1200Z for the operating special event and hang around for tailgating in the shack 2 1/2 hours before football kickoff. Food and drinks will be provided. Click here for pictures of the 2014 Homecoming Event.
The Georgia Tech Alumni Amateur Radio Club is an association of Georgia Tech alumni, faculty, staff and friends of Georgia Tech with the purpose of supporting amateur radio at Georgia Tech and preserving its rich history.
Past club member accomplishments at Georgia Tech:
History of the Georgia Tech Radio Club Call
The school club was initially assigned the call “4XG” to three Seniors in 1912. The call represented the general region of the club “4”, the fact that it was experimental “X”, and was located in Georgia “G”. The station was shut down for World War I as was every other amateur radio station. After the war, call signs were reissued with no regard for previous call signs so the club received the call 4YA. “4” denoted the SE region of the USA, “Y” an educational institution, and the first one issued “A”. By 1925 the call 4AV was used by the club through 1928. When prefixes were issued the club call added the “W” prefix to change it to W4YA. Around 1930-31 the club experienced some adverse conditions and the license lapsed . The club was reorganized in 1931 and its current call W4AQL was issued to this new club. The school club continues to use W4AQL.
1990 November Sweepstakes at W4AQL. From L-R: N4VMD reading a book, N4ZZX checks for duplicate contacts using a large dupe sheet, WD4DWM (now W4TM) is at the main operating position and W4RU (SK) looks for needed sections on the multiplier station.
6689501 Last modified: 2015-09-05 15:06:59, 2914 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
This callsign does not participate in the QRZ Logbook