Douglas "Doug" M. Ruz:
I was born on August 10, 1975 in a town called Puerto Padre in Las Tunas Provinces in the north eastern side of the island.
My ham radio interest started together with my friend David, ex-CO8DC, observing his father Mario CO8CH in late 80`s.
I passed my first amateur radio exam in September 1989 and I got my first ham radio license "C M 8 D M" one year later after built my own 40 meters DSB (Double Side Band) localy called "Islander" helped by Ramon ex-CM8BA now KF4???. (This radio always good reported by my friend Josue CO7RR, ex-CO8JY)
I have been using this radio for about 5 years and I almost complete my DXCC on this band mainly on phone.
Later I found an JRC receiver and then I enhance my station but still transmitting with the 40m DSB 50 watts, I participated in my first CQWW CW contest, one of my favorites activities in the radio world, making about 400 Q`s with a mechanical cw key...I remember the pain in my arm...hi, hi...
One year later I change my radio, now I started to use a adapted SSB comercial HF radio Spilbury SB-60 and I spread my radio operations to 80, 40, 20 and 15 meters. This year I got my first class ham license "C O 8 D M"
Using this radio I got 3rd Place World in the 1999 CQ WW CW 80m Low Power and 4th Place World in the 2000 ARRL Int`l DX CW 80m Low Power.
I am very active in the contest activity and I was chosed to participate in the first multi-multi operation from Cuba; the T49C DXpedition together ?S K 0 U X? radio club members in the 1997 CQWW CW contest. In this operations I made good friends such as Carlos SM0KCO, Acke SM0TLA, Rolf SM3COL, Goran, Nike, Soeren OZ1FTU, and many other swedish guys.
Also I am member of the Las Tunas Contest Crew T 4 8 K with my best friends Josue C O 8 J Y (now CO7RR) and Raul C O 8 Z Z. We participate in many ARRL and CQWW obtaining good results mainly as a Multi Single team with wires antennas and old radios from Punta de Corella a beautiful beach in the north area of my town. Our team have been join by David OK1DTP and his father Jiri OK1TP. Also by good friends like Alexis CO8KA and Jerry CO7GG.
I am also member of the T 4 8 R A C join by good friends like Don VE3ESE, Greg VE3NXB, Ed CO8LY, Juan CO8TW, Victor CO8HF, Adrian CO8ESE, Ruben CO8DLF and many other hams from Santiago de Cuba.
My QSL have been manage by two good friends, first Julio AD4Z/HI3A a good DXer and contester and since 1998 by Steve KU9C one of the best QSL managers in the world.
In 1999 Steve KU9C and Mark K8KZ help me to enhance my radio station with a Kenwood TS-130s and a MFJ-9406 + Mirage Amp for the 6 meters band (my favorite band). I always be very grateful.
I complete the basic DXCC #37 409, 50 Mhz VUCC #1 387 and Member of the Cuba DX Group. I have more than 200 countries worked on HF and 88 worked on 6 meters. As an interesting information my grid locator is FL11 and there are another two active stations on 6m, Ed CO8LY from FL20 and Oscar CO2OJ from EL83...So, see you on SIX in the next opening...!!!!
My 6m antenna. It is a homebrew 5 elements Yagi 28 ohms DK7ZB design.
CO8DM Contest Results (TOP 10)
- 1999. CQWWDX CW 3rd Place WORLD SOSB 80 LP. (Continental Leader, Cuba Record)
- 2000. ARRL CW 4th Place WORLD SOSB 80
- 2010. CQWWDX CW 8th Place WORLD SOSB 40 QRP (2nd North America, Cuba Record)
- 2013 CQWWDX CW 1st Place WORLD SOSB 40 QRP (Cuba Record)
- 2014 CQWW WPX CW 4th Place WORLD SOSB 40 QRP (1st North America)
- 2014 CQWWDX CW 6th Place WORLD SOAB CLASSIC OVERLAY LP (4th North America, Cuba Record)
- 2015 ARRL CW 10th Place WORLD SOAB LP
CO8DM at T48RAC (TOP 10)
- 2000. ARRL International DX Contest SSB. 3rd Place WORLD M/S.
CO8DM at T48K (TOP 10)
- 2001. ARRL International DX Contest CW. 6th Place WORLD M/S.
- 2002. ARRL International DX Contest CW. 7th Place WORLD M/S.
- 2004. ARRL International DX Contest CW. 4th Place WORLD M/S.
- 2011. June VHF QSO Party. 3rd Place Multioperator limited.
- 2011. CQWW VHF. 5th Place WORLD M/S. (Caribbean Record)
- 2012. June VHF Contest. 1st PLACE 50 Mhz, LP. (Plaque)
- 2012. ARRL International DX Contest SSB. 3rd Place WORLD M/S LP.
- 2014 ARRL International DX Contest SSB. 8th Place WORLD M/S HP.
In front of T48K antenna farm...
My 6m DXCC !!!!
The front side of my new QSL CARD.
Installing a 4 Band Spiderbeam. It is a 12 elements antenna. 4 elem on 10m, 3 elem on 15m, 3 elem on 20m and 2 shortened elements on 40m. It is working great at only 16m high. Thank to Con, DF4SA and Spiderbeam team for the support. Thanks all hams that help me in that project.
73`s, thanks for the QSO and hope C U AGN.
7263333 Last modified: 2016-04-23 21:28:47, 6182 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
This callsign does not participate in the QRZ Logbook