Information about the nature park Steinhuder Meer
The lake Steinhuder Meer with an area of 29.1 km² is the largest lake in north-west Germany and emerged at the end of the last ice age about 14,000 years ago and at that time was about three times as large as today. Archaeological traces validate the presence of reindeer hunters about 12,000 years ago. Today the lake is about 8 km wide and 4.5 km long and the center of the nature park Steinhuder Meer. In the nature and landscape protection areas around the lake are extensive peat bogs and wet meadows.They are breeding, wintering and passage area of many species of wading and water birds and a wetland of international importance, with many rare animal and plant species.
On the lake Steinhuder Meer an artificial island with the name "Wilhelmstein" the Count Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe had built a fortress 1761-1767. The star-shaped fort now serves as a museum and is a popular destination.
In 1913 the largest building in Germany was completed near the lake steinhuder meer, the wireless station "Eilvese" with 250 meters of length. 14.10.1913 was the first transcontinental radio contact between Germany, Station "Eilvese" Call "OUI", and U.S.A., Station "Tuckerton" Call "WSC" (near New Jersey) on very low frequency 14.000 meter Band.
Please take a look to the special call: DL100OUI and W2WSC
1226096 Last modified: 2014-08-30 20:55:56, 4866 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
Currently updating logbook display.