Licensed in 1957 and still using my original call. I go by the name "Gary". Often I operate at my second QTH on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Fancy Gap, VA. It is in EM96 and a beautiful QTH at 3200 ft. My wife Carol is KA4WUR and we have two sons and one daughter-in-law that are also licensed. My father, KB4DIX, (now SK) was also a ham in Georgia.
DXing has been the main focus of my ham radio hobby. Through the hobby I have been fortunate to meet so many wonderful people and to travel to many great places. Ham Radio is what lead me into a telecommunications background with AT&T Long Lines and later a telecommunications manager with Hoechst Celanese Corp.
* Managed the ARRL Single Letter QSL Bureau Manager (W4/K4/N4 QSL Bureau) in Charlotte, NC from 1981-1988.
* Appointed as the ARRL Roanoke Division Member to the DX Advisory Committee (DXAC) in 1988. Still serving in this position.
* Received the ARRL Roanoke Division Service Award in 2009.
* Appointed in the late 1980s as an ARRL QSL field checker for all ARRL Awards.
* Appointed in the early 1990s as a CQ Magazine QSL field checker for all CQ DX Awards.
* Charter member of the Carolina DX Association in 1981 (CDXA) an affiliated ARRL DX Club.
* Charter member and current President of the International DX Association (INDEXA) organized in 1983. Served as Vice President and Director during the 1980s-2006. INDEXA is an organization that supports DXpeditions to rare DXCC entities and it is known for their committment to high ethical standards within the worldwide DX community.See www.indexa.org for overview of INDEXA.
* DX Accomplishments:
* First North American to achieve CQ 5 Band WAZ. Award #2 in June 1980.
* CQ Magazines Honor Roll Awards: 2 X SSB = 342 Countries; 2 X CW = 341 Countries.
* DXCC Challenge: 3021
* DXCC: Mixed; 379: Phone; 375: CW; 352. All on SSB, missing N. Korea on CW.
* #1 DXCC Honor Roll, 10 Band DXCC, 10 Band WAS, A1OP.
* Have achieved DXCC Honor Roll on each band 80-10 Meters.
* Yasme “Supreme” award #173.
* DXCC COUNTRIES:
BAND : WORKED - CONFIRMED
- 160: 189 - 188
- 80: 352 - 352
- 40: 353 - 352
- 30: 344 - 344
- 20: 376 - 376
- 17: 344 - 344
- 15: 364 - 364
- 12: 337 - 337
- 10: 359 - 359
- 6: 136 - 136
- DXCC Challenge: 3021
* QSL Manager for: 4S7JD, 9L1GQ, 9L2SL, C6AFR, A4XFA, MP4BHH, MP4QBK, MP4MBB, VK9MM, P29MM, K4ERU/KB6, KB6CZ (Canton Is) (Operations in 1960s-1980s)
* DX Operations as: JY8MQ, 5B4/K4MQG, FS/K4MQG, VP9/K4MQG, XE3/K4MQG, C6/K4MQG.
Last modified: 2012-11-21 04:09:39, 7693 bytes cached
This user has no active logs
Does this page contain inappropriate content? If so, Report this page...