A team of radio operators will be exploring a group of islands, with complete portable operation. The logistics will consist of generators, tents, campfires, hf amplifiers, 4 transceivers with simultaneous operation in 4 different modes. Advanced antenna, notch / bandpass filters will be engineered / utilized. All antennas will be homebrew, nothing store purchased, except for one special application experiment. Band operation will shift accordingly per propagation change.
Our goal it to share international good-will, adapt to not so good enviromental conditions, science, with demonstration of this hobby while basically isolated - no commercial untilities or shelter. Accessibility is only by boat.
Treasure Island ExPedition
We are also experimenting with BBHN Wi-Fi. We will be attempting to beam a signal >4 miles to provide live video.
Lake Texoma & Denison Dam – Known as the “Striper Capital of the World” Lake Texoma is one of the few reservoirs in the US where bass reproduce naturally and one of the most popular federal reserves, with more than 6 million visitors annually. The lake is the 12th largest in the US, owned and managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The dam was started in 1939 and completed in 1944 and at the time the largest rolled-earth fill dam in the world. It contains 18.8 million cubic yards of fill and produces roughly 250,000 megawatt hours of electricity per year. There are two federally managed wildlife refuge areas and two state parks (Lake Texoma State Park, Oklahoma and Eisenhower State Park, Denison) as well as 80,000 acres of open public land used for hunting.
Rock’n “A” Ranch, Pottsboro, TX – Horseback riding, horseshoes, playground, stick horse races, egg toss, sack races, old time clothes for dress up, bring your own camera. Call 903-337-5590 for hours and reservations.
The chief engineer of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, O.B. Gunn, made a personal inspection of this area, formerly a “tent city” and lawless community just south of the Red River and decided that this would be the location for a new Katy railhead. Denison was incorporated in 1873 and named after the wealthy Katy Vice President, George Denison, and was considered a “Gateway to Texas”, for those visiting from the north.
Downtown Main Street is lined with antique shops, art galleries, stores and restaurants. On every block you see renovation and renewal of some of the city’s beautiful 19th and early 20th century buildings. Downtown plays host to special events throughout the year including the Denison Arts & Wine Renaissance, Loft Tour, 4th of July celebration and Fall Festival.
This winery is the oldest continually operating winery in the Red River Valley of North Texas, bottling Sherry, Port and Red Wine. In 1880, Denison’s T.V. Munson (1843-1913) helped save France’s vineyards by sending thousands of bundles of North Texas grape rootstocks to the Charante Region. French scientists and grape growers grafted their native grape varieties to our disease-resistant rootstocks. There is a T.V. Munson Memorial Vineyard and Viticulture Enology Center on the west campus of Grayson County College.
Over 400 acres of land. Activities include: picnicking, hiking, swimming, fishing, boating, biking, wildlife observation, ATV and mini bike use. Nature and environmental programs are offered. Located within the park, Eisenhower Yacht Club is privately operated full service marina with repair shop, boat rentals, fuel service and slip rentals,903-463-3999.
Directions: From Tanglewood's main entrance, turn right on Highway 289, then left on F.M. 406 (by the Chevron station). Follow 406 to Highway 84, approximately 4 miles. Turn left on Highway 84 and take the FIRST RIGHT onto Eisenhower Road. Follow for approximately 1.5 miles to the state park on the left.
Take a walk back in time to the days when pioneer residents used hand tools to shape logs into one room cabins. The museum and grounds are home to over 20 homes and cabins moved to this site, with original furnishings. In addition, several wagons, a blacksmith shop and tools are on display. Open daily from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission is $2 for adults and $0.50 for children under 12.
North Texas Regional Airport – The airport is located on the site of the former Perrin Air Force Base, built in 1941 at 4575 Airport Drive, Denison, TX. Grayson County College uses several buildings and operates the golf course. The Perrin Air Force Base Museum is located on the property. Call 903-786-8741 for hours of operation..
Named after Sidney Sherman, the Texas Republic cavalry officer whose famous slogan was “Remember the Alamo”, Sherman is the county seat of Grayson County. Downtown offers Kelly Square, antique shopping, historical museums, restaurants and the C.S. Roberts home.
The Red River Historical Museum, is at 301 S. Walnut St., Sherman. It is housed in the 1933 Carnegie Library, which is listed on the National Register of Historical places. Open Tues. – Fri, 10 to 4 and Sat. 10 to 5, call 903-868-1771.
The C.S. Roberts House is located at 915 S. Crockett St. and a magnificent Victorian mansion built by a prominent family. It is one of the only intact Eastlake-Stick style homes in this part of the country. It remained in the family until 1988 and most family furnishings are in place. Open Sundays 1-4 p.m. and by appointment (903-893-4067)
Over 11,000 acres on the Big Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma. The refuge is open dawn to dusk year round. The visitor Center is open daily 7:30 to 4 p.m. weekdays, 9-noon Sat.; 1-4 Sundays. The mission of the refuge is to protect migrating waterfowl and other birds. Other activities are hiking, picnicking and fishing. Boating and hunting are allowed at certain times of the year.
Directions: From Tanglewood's main entrance, turn right onto Highway 289. Follow this road for approximately 5 miles to the brown sign, “Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge” and turn right onto Refuge Road. Follow this road for approximately 5 miles and watch for signs to the visitor center.
1000 W. California St.( 940-668-4539) A native of Gainesville, TX, Frank Buck was known as “bring-em Back Alive” Buck. He was even depicted in a cartoon series by Walt Disney Company. The100 year old majestic pecan trees grace the 85 acre Leonard Park, home to the zoo. Open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (summer). Call for specific daily hours and admission prices. Also in Gainesville, Schmitz Museum and Morton Museum. Gainesville Chamber of Commerce 940-665-2831. Located between Sherman and Gainesville is Lavendar Ridge Farms, 2391 County Road 178, Gainesville (940-665-6938). Call for hours of operation. Spring strawberries and summer lavender available for picking. Gift shop, restaurant, and festivals on Memorial Day and in the fall.
Visit this beautiful blueberry and blackberry “you pick” farm open each summer from early June to late July. Families visit the farm and pack a picnic lunch to enjoy hours in the country. Call for hours of operation and times.
The City of Bonham was named after Alamo hero James Butler Bonham in 1837. Visitors to Fort Inglish, on Sam Rayburn Drive, can see early 150 year old log cabins. The Sam Rayburn House Museum and Library are dedicated to Sam Rayburn who served as a congressman for 48 years and Speaker of the House of Representatives for 17 years. Call 903-583-5558 for hours ad fees (closed Mondays). There is also the Fannin County Museum of History and Red River Art Gallery as well as Bonham State Park.
Downtown Whitesboro is home of the annual Peanut festival held in October and Wild West Rodeo held on the 4th of July. Tours are available at the historic Younger-Sullivan House. Contact the Chamber at 903-564-3331 for more information.
Visit this historic town, and “Magnolia Capital of Oklahoma” (June Magnolia Festival). Durant is home of the Choctaw Nation headquarters, with over 100,000 members. Downtown shopping with a variety of restaurants and antique stores.
The museum is operated by the Durant Historical Society, representing Durant and Bryan counties from its beginning in 1873 to present. Exhibits include a piano from 1860 shipped up the Red River and early day law office. Open Mon.-Fri. 1-5 p.m., call for times during summer months.
1239812 Last modified: 2014-09-05 09:35:33, 30594 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
Currently updating logbook display.