It's time to join up!
Please visit the above site - Try to follow to the Code of Conduct! It is listed at bottom of this page and on the Following Link:
Operated with the W1AW Texas Team as: W1AW/5 Texas -
What an honor - What a Blast!
My name is "Jim". My Dad, WB9MST - (SK), was my first inspiration in this hobby. Listened with a Hallicrafters SX-99. Studied code in my teens, but never took the time to get my license. After 40 some years of every-day life getting in the way, my neighbor down the road (K5BG) re-kindled my interest in this hobby. So, thats how I got here. Retired from an occupation of aircraft electronics and RF testing in 2007, only to work harder on our small ranch. In between mowing, building fences, etc.; I spend (relaxing) time building different types of antennas. I mainly work DX, and only on HF and 160.
I am not a "Big Gun", I have a modest station consisting of the following equipment: Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V with Heil Pro+ headset (HC-4 & 5), Yaesu FT-1000D, Ameritron AL-82Q, ATR-30 Tuner, TH-7DXX (Super Thunderbird) Tri-bander at 50', 12/17/30 Meter D3W at 55', 12/17M beam @ 45', Dipoles for 80 & 40, Delta Loop for 30 Meters, 160 Meter inverted "L". I also use a "Hi-Z" Receive Antenna Array System for 30M through Top Band. All of my QSO's are from my own equipment at this QTH. I DO NOT use RHR - it is for losers.
I prefer to use LoTW, but I will send paper QSL's if I receive paper. I QSL direct all cards received direct, foreign or domestic.
Please Note: Last Bureau Card mailing was in November of 2014. You should get them soon. If not, please email me.
- 9 Band WAS
- WAS - CW, SSB, Digi
- W1AW Event: 96th (out of 199,787)
- DXCC: Currently 315 Confirmed - 306 phone, 263 CW (As of February 2015)
IMHO - If you are operating a remote transmitter and it is located outside of your DX Zone - you are not DX!
If you use remote sites to work DX - you are cheating. It's nothing more than FaceBook or Twitter! It is NOT in the true Ham Spirit.
Suck it up and do it with your own equipment! I did!
Below: Home brew 12/17 Meter beam on a 24' boom (built out of 3 old beams).
It has 4 elements on 17 M, and 5 elements on 12 M. The beam is about 45' above the ground.
Above the beam is a 12/17/30 D3W Dipole at about 55'.
Works well in pile-up's also.
Below:Hy-Gain TH7-DXX10/15/20 Meter beam on a 48' HDBXtower. Pointed twards JA land at sunset.
DX Code of Conduct:
1. I will listen and listen and then listen some more
2. I will only call if I can copy the DX station properly
3. I will not trust the cluster and will be sure of the DX station's call sign before calling
4. I will not interfere with the DX station nor anyone calling him and will never tune up on the DX frequency or in the QSX slot
5. I will wait for the DX station to end a contact before calling him
6. I will always send my full call sign
7. I will call and then listen for a reasonable interval. I will not call continuously
8. I will not transmit when the DX operator calls another call sign, not mine
9. I will not transmit when the DX operator queries a call sign not like mine
10. I will not transmit when the DX station calls other geographic areas than mine
11. When the DX operator calls me I will not repeat my call sign unless I think he has copied it incorrectly
12. I will be thankful if and when I do make a contact
13. I will respect my fellow hams and conduct myself so as to earn their respect
(I would personally add: "Grow Up")
Thanks for looking - 73's, Jim