My name is Rick Mullaney and I started into ham radio because of my friends in school. Steve Taylor K5MR was my best friend in highschool along with Ralph Bowen N5RZ. We were all from Richardson,Texas. I owe my Elmer Hal Dietz W5GHZ a lot of credit because I met him while I was flying for Cival Air Patrol and he was the ham that resparked my interest at in ameteur radio. He has been an inspiration to me. He taught me how to build and set up antennas and tune the old tube rigs.
As you see, my first love is flying which I owe to my father who inspired me and was a Vietnam war vetran with the Distigugished Flying Cross and the Airman Medal with 112 missions inVietnam. I of course am very proud of him. He was a 30 year captain for American Airlines and I wanted to follow my dad's footsteps.
My accomplishments in amateur radio include as a novice::
1. Entered the Novice Round UP Contest with a Kenwood TS-520 and a smoking 100 watts with a Radio Shack quarter wave stainless steel CB whip trimmed for 10 meters and mounted on a WWII metal hangar at the airport where I worked that had dementions of 100 ft X 200 ft. The antenna was up on top in the middle at 35 ft. I was Second Nationally, Section Leader, and Division Leader. 1991 (my one and only contest)
2. Worked all Zones as a novice on 10 meters 1993.
3. DXCC with 295 countries as a novice on 10 meters 1993.
4. 6 Band DXCC is done but need to submit to the ARRL on 10M, 15M, 20M, 40M, 80M, and 17M.
4. CQDX Award with 275 countries submitted at the time in 1993 as a novice.
5. 5 Band WAS that I still need to submit to the ARRL.
My Current Station:
My current station is very simple. My antennas are home brew monoband verticals built out of scrap aluminum tubing from friends antennas that fell and broke in the Oklahoma wind for 10M, 15M, 20M and 40M with a few inverted V's put up for 80M and 40M and 17M. My rig is a Yaseu FT-1000MP with my o'l reliable Heathkit SB-220 amplifier I have had for ever.
To my XYL Sharon:
Thank you for all the good time on the radio. She has been the best most understanding wonderful woman I could ever have. I am so lucky and blessed!
73 and Good DX Rick KB5MRT
6129878 Last modified: 2015-07-16 00:17:50, 2353 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
Book Totals: 530 qso's 515 confirmed Get a free logbook at QRZ.COM