Hi, this is Mukesh Patel calling CQ and QRZ. I like to work DX from Mobile, its more challenging. I always working on something to improve my mobile station. So far, I have used Hamsticks, Outbacker Perth, Texas Bugcatcher, several Tarheel Screwdriver antennas, and Hi-Q Antennas. My latest Antenna is Hi-Q 6/160 and I am very happy with its perfromace. So here is my latest HF mobile station;
- Rig: Kenwood Ts-480HX : over the years, I have owned multiple different rigs for my mobile setup. Here is the List, TS-50, IC-706, Ft-900 CAT, Ts- 480 HX, Ft-857, and IC-7000. After some time, I am settled for TS-480 because of it is simple to operate while mobile with much less distraction then any other radio. Also, in my humble openion, its receiver is much better than any of the other rigs.
- Antenna: Hi-Q 6/160 with Hi-Q DC controller ( To control the antenna tuning movement): Its big and need special custome mount. It is installed in the truck bed right behind the driver area to maximize the artifical ground plane/ capacitonce to ground plane most effectively. I have ran grounding all over the places to increase the efficiancy and reducing any chance of ground loop. It works great and tunes very easily, the typical SWR is 1 to 1.2 on most of the band and I personaly don't care of SWR, as long as it is lower than 1.7 because the RF Amp works perfectly fine with that range. I am not a SWR freak, always remember that 50 Ohm dummy load is 1:1 SWR but terrible radiator. I have tried several differant Capcity hats but highly discouraged by the damage caused by the tree limbs, finally I have given up on it. I havn't experance much of the differance in performance with or without the Caphat.
- Amplifier: SGC 500 SmartCube,Works great, once installed properly, do not need any special care. It has all sorts of protections built in and protects itself from operator error. I have a spare SGC Cube , in case I need it. They are not in production any more so just want to make sure that I have spare.I easily get 600 watts on 20 Meter and up to 700 on lower band, as long as it supplied by proper voltage source.
- DC Power Source: Second Optima Red top battery with DC booster to supply 16VDC to SGC, connected to Primary battery with Hellroaring isolater,. When you run hi power in the mobile, power source become the challange. As you can see in the picture below, I have employed the Jacob Electronics Accuvolts in parrellal to provide the 16 VDC with 80 Amp capacity, which is fed by second Redtop Optima battery and 20 Watt Solar Panel.
- Wattmeter: Telepost LP-1000 wattmeter: Very Accurate Wattmeter with SWR warning, must for the hi power RF operation to keep an eye on all the working components.
- Microphone: Kenwood Microphone with HC4 Heil element, I was originally using the Heil Handy Mic but it was too cumbersome and the PTT switch was hard to press for long time so I just replaced it with original kenwood hand mic with HCR element. Works great and no complaints from anybody so far. : Here are some pictures of my Mobile setup.:
I have moved to the new location so I am in process to move the all ham gears. I still have Rohan 25G tower and Cushcraft A3S tribander at other QTH which will stay there for remote station use. At new loaction, hamshack is modest;
- Rig: Yeasu FTdx 5000MP and Yeasu Ft-1000 MP;
- Antennas: BigIR made by SteppIR , covers 40M to 6Meter, For a while, I used Comtek 20M monobander with 60 some ground radials varying from 15 feet to 180 feet long .This antenna works wonderfully, it provides me 1/4 wave monoband on every frequency from 40 to 6 meter. It has transciver interface to tune the vertical element and does the wonderfull job.
screwdriver antenna for the base station with very good success. I have BifIR vertical from StepIR is on the waay and will be installed by the end of July, 2013.
- Amplifier: THP HL-450 B, SGC 500 SmartCube, and Ampsupply LK-500ZC ( I mostly use THP with modest 350 Watt power)
- Audio Equipment: RODE Procaster microphone, W2IHY 8 band equilizer and Eqplus, Aphex Channel , Recently, I have been experementing with Aphex Channel, it is a size of 1U , rack mountable unit from Aphex. IT has built in Mic Preamp, Easy rider compressor, Noice gate, Big Bottom booster, Aural Exciter and Parametric Eq. IT works just like Equilizer but with different technology, insted of boosting or reducing perticular audi frequecny, it just add the harmonics and mixed it with original audio signal. It is much smoother and less harsh. It requires lots of tweking but I am getting there. If you hear me on air, provide your honest comment of my transmit audio so I could refine it further.
I have enough space and no CCR for tower and several antennas but so far I am taking my time to plan everything,
Only band I work is 20 meter and mostly DX at evening and night time. The 20 meter monobander is keep surprising me with its performance, lets put it this way, now I have a lots of respect for vertical antenna. For past 15 years, I have always used the tower and beam and never did care for vertical but now I am willing to employ more vertical and chase DX with it.
So, if you hear me, please contact me. I like to work quick DX but love to have a long chat to know the other part of the world little better.
Last modified: 2013-11-25 22:14:22, 6837 bytes cached
This user has no active logs