The Martín García Island is situated in the Rio de la Plata, on the outlet of the Rio Uruguay and it belongs to Republica Argentina. It was discovered on February of 1516 by Juan Diaz de Solis he was looking for interoceanic channel. When he was seeing the island, one of his crew members - Martín García – died. So, he decided to give his name. This island is a rocky landslide of a Pre-Cambrian folding of Brazilia of 1800 millons of years. It has an area of 168 ha. Today its expansion is of 30 to 50 cm. by year, and it has a high of 27 mts. on the sea level. The average temperature is 17 C, with an average humidity of 81% and annually rains 1000 mm. These Characteristics make that the vegetation is consisted of a large expanse of sand, a forest and the typical vegetation of the Delta because it´s the last area of the missionary forest. In the Natural Reserve therre are more than 150 Kinds of herbs with curatives qualities. All this vegetation gives great splendour to the beauty of the island. Martín García was witness of a large number of Martín García saw the Anglo-French fleet, it was the pleace of imprisonment for ordinary and political prisioners (Alvear, Yrygoyen, Peron, Frondizi) remembered the steps of the crew of the battleship Graf Spee. It worked as a lazaretto and port of quarantine. Through the streets went for a walk the poet Ruben Dario. It was litigation between Argentina and Uruguay until 1973, dispute when they signed a treaty of the Rio de la Plata and the front maritime, declaring the island jurisdiction of Argentina. Since then it left to be a naval base and became to be a tourist place. It was declared historical began monument and reserve of flora and fauna.
Last modified: 2011-01-21 22:27:00, 1716 bytes fetched
This user has no active logs