QRZ.COM
ad: N3WG-1
Please login help/register callsign: password: secure login
Database News Forums Swapmeet Resources Contact
 02:40:47 UTC 2 Oct 2014 
Advanced Search Current Hot Callsigns XML Logbook Data QSL ListMaker Database Downloads DX Spotting Network Ham Club Database QSL Corner Top Web Contacts Expired Callsigns QRZ's 1993 FCC Database Daily Update Reports Just Added Callsigns Database Help Forum
Amateur Radio News General Announcements Special Events, Contests, etc. Hamfests and Conventions Silent Keys Headlines
Forums Home Discussions, Editorials, Talk Technical Forums Logging and Contesting RV and Mobile Help Forums
Ham Radio Gear for Sale Ham Made Gear General Merchandise Swapmeet Hot List Ham to Ham References Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-offs
Site Menu... Practice Amateur Radio Exams Amateur Radio Study Guides Online License Renewals License Wall Certificates Commercial Ham Radio Links DX Country Atlas Grid Mapper Ham Radio Trivia Quiz Life Member Honor Roll
Help Desk, for accounts, lost passwords, etc. Add your callsign to QRZ Subscription Services Users Help Forum Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ QRZ en Espanol Privacy Statement Advertise with QRZ List of Current Advertisers About QRZ Donate to QRZ Contact us
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
N4UFO USA flag USA

Login is required for additional detail.

Email: Login required to view

Ham Member Lookups: 22003

Latest progress on my new sat antenna installation:

 

Got the lawn mowed, so I was already dirty... perfect time to go under the house and pull cables through the floor. Then the cables were run through the entry plate and elbow, around in a loop through the yard then attached to the 'pull rope'. Here I am guiding the first bit into the hole.

 

There are a few 45 degree elbows where the conduit jogs around the HF conduit. It took a little extra strength and finesse, so the XYL and I swapped places.

 

After the wire was pulled and excesses adjusted, I secured the entry plate back into position and taped the wires up inside the outdoor box. I had JUST enough coax cable for the run... good thing I planned it out in advance!

 

Next project will be soldering on connectors and finish tidying up the box. Stay tuned...

 

==========================================================================================

Earlier updates:

After a few days of rain, the ground was soft enough for digging. And while I may be the luckiest man alive to have a wife that will come help dig a trench for my ham stuff, no, she did not dig the whole thing. I made lines with my weed trimmer and she is cutting the turf along those lines while I dig... and take pictures.

 

Here is the house entry and the antenna tripod ends of the 1.25" grey electrical PVC conduit. I used a 45 degree elbow and a small modified vent plate to enter the crawl space through a brick I chiseled out of the underpinning. You may notice where the pipe comes out at the tripod base that it is not straight up and down. I had to tilt it a little to secure the elbow to the base timber. This will probably actually help in forming a drip loop back around to the preamp enclosure which will mount on the section of pipe there in the base of the tripod. What you see coming out of the conduit is a lengthy piece of flexible electrical conduit with wires that my neighbor loaned me from his scrap pile to use as a 'pull rope' when I am ready to run the antenna, power and rotator cables.

 

Here is an 'after' pic of the trench filled in... and the lawn mowed. With the red clay we have here, the trench will require more dirt be placed on top once the ground settles after several rains. Luckily, I have a huge pile of dirt (background of next picture) for filling in the shallow dips you might be able to see running left to right that settled years ago after installation of the septic lines. (Easier to see the dips in the first picture above.) Hence it was a good time to install the conduit before doing all that. On the right, you can see the preamp enclosure. I've gone ahead and installed it to do a 'dry run'. We are supposed to have rain this weekend and I want to make sure it doesn't leak before installing the equipment or feedlines.

 

I used some TV antenna mounts to attach the enclosure to the pole. I got the idea for the enclosure from KB5WIA's blog. On the right is a dry fit of the preamps and diplexers. (I am installing the diplexers to act as filters.) The lines from the shack will come in on the left and attach to each preamp. The UHF preamp is in front and the diplexer attached to it has the UHF port available on the right to go to the antenna and a 50 ohm teminator on the VHF port to the left. The VHF preamp is then behind the UHF with some large rubber feet stuck to each to keep them spaced apart. The diplexer attached to the VHF preamp is reversed in direction from the one in front, again with the rubber feet touching to keep them apart. The 50 ohm termination and antenna port line up with the other diplexer since it is turned around backwards. As you can see, I cut holes for each feedline and one for the power wire to the preamps... I still need to find some type of quick connectors for that. The preamps are hanging from a couple pieces of 10 gauge wire soldered to crimp rings than are attached to the top mounting bolts. Again, credit KB5WIA's blog for that idea.

 

Running the cables from the shack to the tripod will likely be my next project. I'll post more as I get things completed.

1304606 Last modified: 2014-09-29 00:03:14, 5844 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.


Apply for a new Vanity callsign...

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

Currently updating logbook display.
ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2014 by QRZ.COM
Thu Oct 2 02:40:47 2014 UTC
CPU: 0.045 sec 40491 bytes mp