Tower update 07/19/2015
The new rotating 55g tower was installed over the weekend of 07/18 and 07/19. Terry, AB5K, drove up from Austin to do the tower work. Myself and a few good friends handled the ground work. The tower itself was installed on Saturday, the antennas were installed on Sunday.
I still need to install the feedlines up the tower and to the shack. I'll get that done over the next few weeks. From top to bottom:
M2 4 element 40m yagi 40M4LLDD @ 130'
F12 C31xr Tribander @ 118'
F12 C31xr Tribander @ 78'
F12 Delta 240 40m yagi @ 57'
F12 C31xr Tribander @ 38'
I'm using a small prop pitch refurbished by K7NV to turn the array.
The only issue I have is with the 15m swr on the upper tribander. I guess 12' spacing between the M2 40 and the C31 is not enough, I can still move it up about 2', probably should have done that in the first place.
QSL Update as of 02/01/2015
I have replied to all direct replies with an SASE. If you sent a card via the buro or without an SASE I have not replied, there are just too many of them. If you need a qsl card please send an SASE or use LOTW. Thanks.
My wife and I moved out to our new location in August 2011. The restrictions actually state 'Ham Radio Towers are OK'. We jumped all over this piece of property which is about 2.5 acres.
I've been building the station since we moved in. Currently I have the following:
- 78' Rohn 45G tower guyed with phillystran with the anchor points 80' from the base of the tower. That leaves me room to rotate some lower antennas.
- F12 C31xr at 79' turned by an Orion rotor, controlled with a Green Heron RT-21
- F12 D240/230 at 84' turned by an Orion rotor, controlled with a Green Heron RT-21. Installed 10-07-2013
- F12 C3 side mounted at 40' using a swing side gate and T2X rotor controlled with a Green Heron RT-21
- Delta loop installed at 78' for 75m. I plan on installing stubs in the corner so I can switch between 75 and 80
- Inverted - L for 160. 30' vertical, 110' sloping up towards top of the 78' tower.
- K9AY Recieve loop system which will be installed this fall, unless I can talk the neighbors into letting me string out a few beverages, and have a talk with the deer so they won't knock them down. I'm looking forward to trying the K9AY array as we live in a relatively quite location
- I am putting together a F12 XR5 which will go up soon to replace the C3 at 42'. A ring rotor will be used in place of the current swinging gate side mount.
- Elecraft K3 x 2
- Elecraft P3 x 2
- Ameritron AL-1200 and KPA-500/KAT500
- Microham MKII Keyer 2R+ SO2R
- Hamation 2x8 Switch controlled via 2 each Hamation Integrated Controllers
- Array Solutions Stack Match's for the various antennas
- N3ZN ZN-9 Key
- Yamaha CM-500 Head Set
- Duracom Power Supplies one each for the K3 and one for accessories.
Updated operating desk. I modified the top middle shelf so the monitor could be lowered. It's easier on the neck this way. Also added the Green Heron Rotor control on the left for the prop pitch that turns the rotating tower.
Hamation 2x8 Switch and 4O3A Triplexer/Filter system. This setup allows me to use my C31xr Tribander as 3 monobanders at the same time. Top to bottom
- 10m Band Pass Filter
- 15m Band Pass Filter
- 20m Band Pass Filter
- 40m Band Pass Filter
- 80m Band Pass Filter
- 160m Band Pass Filter
When we built the house I had a 30' x 24' steel bulding erected. I have a mini ductless heat-a/c unit so its comfortable out here. It has its own 100amp electric service panel as well as water for a sink and a french drain for some basic needs out here in the shop. Its very easy to install an aluminum panel for grounding and cable entry. I use polyphaser units for lightning protection and the panel, building and electrical are grounded to a ground rod a couple inches from the panel. The ground system is a work in progress.
As I go along I'll clean up the inside of the shop by continuing to install plywood for the walls and an insulated drop ceiling is in the future which will help with heating and cooling.
Thats it for now.
Rich - N5ZC (10/20/2015)
6793789 Last modified: 2015-10-21 00:17:53, 6014 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
This callsign does not participate in the QRZ Logbook