ad: dxeng
Please login help/register
callsign: password: secure login
Database News Forums Swapmeet Resources Contact
 03:27:59 UTC 20 Apr 2014 
Advanced Search Current Hot Callsigns XML Logbook Data QSL ListMaker Database Downloads DX Spotting Network Ham Club Database QSL Corner Top Web Contacts Expired Callsigns Daily Update Reports Just Added Callsigns Database Help Forum
Amateur Radio News General Announcements Special Events, Contests, etc. Hamfests and Conventions Silent Keys Headlines
Forums Home Discussions, Editorials, Talk Technical Forums Logging and Contesting RV and Mobile Help Forums
Ham Radio Gear for Sale Ham Made Gear General Merchandise Swapmeet Hot List Ham to Ham References Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-offs
Site Menu... Practice Amateur Radio Exams Amateur Radio Study Guides Online License Renewals License Wall Certificates Commercial Ham Radio Links DX Country Atlas Grid Mapper Ham Radio Trivia Quiz Life Member Honor Roll
Help Desk, for accounts, lost passwords, etc. Add your callsign to QRZ Subscription Services Users Help Forum Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ QRZ en Espanol Privacy Statement Advertise with QRZ List of Current Advertisers About QRZ Donate to QRZ Contact us
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
  QSL image for PA3BUD

PA3BUD Netherlands flag Netherlands

Login is required for additional detail.

[+] Mailing label


Lookups:   8739 Ham Member

Email: Login required to view QSL: LOTW, EQSL, BURO, DIRECT.

My start in hamradio was in 1978 at the age of 19, when I got licensed for VHF and up with callsign PE1DRB.
Shortly after that (1981) I mastered CW and upgraded to "Full License" and was issued callsign PA3BUD.

CW became my main mode of operation; 95% on the key, the remaining 5% in SSB and RTTY.
Most of my equipment was either home-made or converted from army or maritime surplus.
For factory stuff Icom always has been my
favorite. After several of the "old line 700s" now an IC735.
Compact (for travelling), reliable and very good performance due to good front-end design and filters.

Low-band DXing became my main passion, which even from my modest QTH proved to be very possible.
Made Honor Roll with 330+ DXCC, 5-band-everything and some more achievements.

In 1999 I grew bored since challenges were not present anymore. I sold all my equipment (both radio
and laboratory), revoked my license and said goodbye to hamradio. The only thing that remained were my logs,
QSLcards and the Bencher iambic.

2010: a new phase in life started and the ham-virus obviously did not die.
My original callsign was still available and I did not bother to get a vanity callsign. I set up a modest station in
the kitchen of my downtown waterfront apartment on the top floor.
Big antennas and amplifiers are not possible, but manage to work 40 m and higher with good results. It only
comes down to more operating skills and less on brute force.

Antenna at the moment is a 32 ft. vertical, supported by a 40 ft. Spiderbeam fibre pole which I have to telescope
out over the rooftop and retract after going QRT. Works like a charm though! At current 215 DXCC worked and
counting with this poor mans' station. Actually it is kind of nice to start all over again since it gives meaning to

a pile-up meaning again. And this time without a beam and without max legal power. No rubber stamp QSOs.

Hamradio is definitely not the way it used to be for me with today's digital modes and gadgets but it is nice to
muck around a bit on the bands and meet old friends.

Instead of working rare DX, I now visit rare DX. I have to admit though that I would be more thrilled to actually
enter a (valid) P5-QSO in my log instead of standing on mt. Mansundae in Pyongyang, making a bow to the
statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il. But there is hope. Policies are changing in the DPRK, and I would not
be surprised that in 2020 we might be able to work the occasional P5. Remember 25 years ago?

Working BY1PK was an absolute achievement! And how about getting a QSO with ZA. Those were the days!

Related to hamradio is the representation of UX5UO's QSL-printing business. Gennadi UX5UO is a good and
personal friend of me since 1985, and we meet at least once a year in Kiev. I witnessed the "birth" of UX5UO-QSL
in the early nineties and helped shaping it. Check http://www.ux5uoqsl.com to find out what this is about.

73 Onno PA3BUD



Other callsigns owned/used:




Downtown Rotterdam



My kitchen/shack with a view



and when not QRV on High Speed CW, probably QRV on High Speed Train

Flag Counter








Last modified: 2014-04-18 13:44:50, 6403 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

Currently updating logbook display.
ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2014 by QRZ.COM
Sun Apr 20 03:27:59 2014 UTC
CPU: 0.045 sec 38104 bytes mp