For W2WSC QSL cards only , please mail an SASE To W2WSC:
Tuckerton Wireless ARC:
PO Box 531
Tuckerton NJ 08087-0531
Worked WSC - OUI Goldschmidt Award"
The Deutscher Amateur-Radio-Club e.V. (DARC), Steinhuder Meer chapter (DOK H 35) issues this award to licensed radio amateurs and to short wave listeners for confirmed amateur radio contacts made after 1 January 2015. There is no time limit for application.
Applications must meet following three conditions:
1. Confirmed amateur radio contacts with club stations DA0OUI and W2WSC
2. Additionally, 3 confirmed amateur radio contacts to German amateur radio stations whose suffixes begin with either letter O, letter U or letter I - in order to complete "OUI"
3. Additionally, 3 amateur radio contacts to US amateur radio stations whose suffixes begin with either letter W, letter S or letter C - in order to complete "WSC"
Example for DL, following 3 call signs: Example for US, following 3 call signs:
This award may be worked within any mode and any amateur radio band.
For the processing of the application, GCR-list, confirmation of LoTW or eQSL will be accepted, which must be sent exclusively via email to DA0OUI@darc.de
Award application is free of charge. The award will be mailed in PDF format 210 x 297 via email exclusively.
This award shall commemorates the first radio contact between Germany (Eilvese Wireless callsign OUI)and the United States of America (Tuckerton Wireless callsign WGG (licensed later as WSC)), made on 14 October 1913.
The award presents QSL cards of DL100OUI and W2WSC/100 showing the two historical Goldschmidt stations in 1913. One hundred years later, these amateur radio stations made contact in October 2013. They exchanged the identical telegrams of greeting sent at inauguration of Eilvese Wireless between Kaiser Wilhelm II and the US President Wilson. Furthermore, the award shows a historical view of radio pioneers at Eilvese Wireless in 1914. In the background is Dr. Rudolf Goldschmidt the inventor of these Goldschmidt High Frequency Telegraphy stations.
This award has been acknowledged by DARC.
Tuckerton Wireless History
By Steve McGarry WS2C – email@example.com
Construction of the 250 meter Tuckerton Wireless tower began in 1912 on the vast salt marshes of Hickory Island in Little Egg Harbor TWP (LEH). The Homag Company of Germany, in a joint venture with France completed the high-power VLF station in 1914, just before the outbreak of WWI. Overlooked by the U.S. Gov., the world's second tallest structure occupied a strategic location to monitor the shipping lanes of the North Atlantic and U.S. east coast. By 1914, the U.S. Navy inspected the station. Initially, a U.S. license was denied due to an ownership dispute, but for experimentation, it was issued the call sign WGG. Operated by German staff, the station in 1914 was equipped with a Goldschmidt 100-kw., high frequency, and reflection-type alternator operating on 18.4khz and utilized an umbrella antenna covering 23 acres of salt marsh. On Jan 14, 1914, President Wilson sent greetings from Tuckerton to Kaiser Wilhelm II to its sister station in Eilvese, Germany. Officially, its use was unclassified, but German intent may have been to support growing German naval power and and increase its global weight to counterbalance its rival European powers. Prior to U.S. entry into WWI in 1917, the station was shrouded in a fog of mysterious espionage, German U-boat activity in LEH waters and messages sent in deceptive double ciphers. Local folklore tells that while under control and censorship of the U.S. Navy it sent the message "get Lucy" ordering the attack to Lusitania on May 7, 1915 ( source to the Roy M. Nunn paper 1967). The Lusitania, a passenger liner, also carried arms to the U.K. The attack order from Tuckerton has never been proved and is merely a product of speculation by Tuckerton residents. Nor has any attck order By radio been documented. With WWI the US Navy, assumed operational control and later WSC became an asset of RCA. Marine Communications. In 1955, the tower was demolished making way for hundreds of waterfront homes. Known worldwide WSC served maritime communications from Tuckerton & later West Creek, NJ until the 1990's. Today the original tower blocks, generator building and stack stand along Radio Road in LEH. Visit the Tuckerton Historical Society (THS) at Tuckertonlehhs.org; Visit SJDAX at sjdxa.org/ FOR MODERN DAY TOWER PICS; WSC logo courtesy Tuckerton Wireless ARC. QSL to W2WSC, TUCKERTON WIRELESS ARC, PO BOX 531, TUCKERTON, NJ 08087-0531. .
6613850 Last modified: 2015-08-03 14:04:35, 7994 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
This callsign does not participate in the QRZ Logbook