QRZ.COM
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
K5LSU USA flag USA

Login is required for additional detail.

Email: Login required to view

Page managed by AD5VC Lookups: 14425

 

K5LSU is the on-campus club station of the Amateur Radio Society at Louisiana State University.  The station is located in historic (circa 1934 WPA project) James W. Nicholson Hall on the campus in Baton Rouge, LA.  The A.R.S. at L.S.U. participates in public service activities on campus and presents ham radio demonstrations. It also teaches ham radio licensing in the student ballooning program in the Department of Physics and Astronomy (laspace.lsu.edu/aces). The Society is open to all LSU student and faculty. The faculty advisor is Dr. Dana Browne, AD5VC, Professor of Physics and Associate Chair of the Department.

The Society was founded in 1922 by a freshman from Baton Rouge majoring in Electrical Engineering. That student, Wilmer Barrow, went on to MIT after graduating from LSU. Dr. Barrow was one of the coinventors of microwave waveguide. The club station is presently housed in Nicholson Hall, home of the Department of Physics and Astronomy, but has moved around campus over the years. The current station includes an APRS digipeater on 2m, a Ten-Tec Jupiter, and Kenwood TS-2000. The antenna is a 88 ft doublet on the top of the physics building, but includes a very novel passive radiator comprising the 30 ft copper clad dome of the Landolt Observatory situated next to the doublet.

A.R.S. at L.S.U. also operates a club station at the BREC/LSU/BRAS public astronomical observatory at Highland Road Park, serving as an adjunct to the very popular public programs offered by the Baton Rouge Parks and Recreation Department (BREC), LSU, and the Baton Rouge Astronomical Society (BRAS). That station's call sign, W5YW, was issued to A.R.S. at L.S.U. in 1926, replacing the 5YW call issued in 1922.

Pictured is the view to the north, towards downtown Baton Rouge, from the fourth floor of Nicholson Hall. The Memorial Tower and the flagstaff on the Parade Grounds are visible. Both are parts of memorials to the LSU students and staff who lost their lives in service to their country.

199790 Last modified: 2013-11-09 20:17:40, 2061 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.


Apply for a new Vanity callsign...

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

Currently updating logbook display.
ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2015 by QRZ.COM
Sun Apr 19 15:41:44 2015 UTC
CPU: 0.047 sec 41880 bytes mp