I have been on the since the 23rd July 1992, operating on 70cm through to 160m.
My real passion is antennas... and you are unlikely to work me twice on the same antenna. At the moment I am experimenting with a trapped inverted "L" for the low bands, a 60m Sky Loop and my version of the SOTA Dipole when /P. The trapped inverted L has been up the longest as it "just works" no tuner needed for 12, 17, 20, 40, 80 and 160. I have added 2 fan dipole 1/4 wave elements to improve the perfomance on 17 and 20. I built it, based on the the plans here.. Happy for you to email me if you want some tips on making the traps. Satalite is mainly mode B on the XW birds. Using 2 homemade crossed Moxon antennas with pawsey baluns.. they seem ok for high angle passes.. e.g. + 15 degrees.
Main operating sets are IC-7600, IC7100/P and a Yaesu FT 847 for Satalite work. With a Red Pitaya based SDR TRX on the bench comming together.
I'm happy to exchange QSL's direct..
Here is my HF seat
QRO from a G3ZRS Ranger 811H
Other things I have tried...
Cobweb - made of 300 ohm ribon as a folded dipole. then converted it to a Hybrid folded dipole on 15 +20 and a 2 element VK2AQB beam with elements on 4,6 and 10m. Here is a picture of its final incarnation. This is a very compact antenna and would fit and rotate in a loft. But it did not offer enough gain for me so... I gave it to a local 2E0 to have a play with.
G0TZE and I made a Magnetic loop.. 1m Diameter..It tuned on 10 through to 40m. here is a short video of G0TZE making the first test 40m QSO
70mhz Jpole - made from a sliver rod + tv arial & landing net pole.. Still in service and working well. It definatly works better on the wooden support as a metal pole would interact. This is now in the loft and seems to work there with little sign of atenuation from the roof tiles.
Military SCAM 12 Mast with a homebrew cryticaly spaced 20m yagi (0.12 Wavelenght Spacing). The elements are loaded with home made inductors. On top is a commercial 5/8 vert for 6m. I also have beams for 6m and 4m for the E's season. My preferance is always for an optimised monoband antenna over a compromise with a multiband.
Motorhome/P in Wales with the Tarheel II on the roof. I borrowed the screwdriver from a G0TZE and found it very good on recieve for its size. The antenna needs a very good ground to work well and the bonded panels in my van were not good enough to get consistent results on transmit.
I'm always interested in building and testing arials... the location here <150m from the sea and offers some interesting experementation. With the hight adjustable mast you can adjust the hight for Fresnel zone / ground gain from the sea or adapt the antenna hight to meet incedence.
The latest experement is a tank tuned sloper for topband and 80m hung under a 32sq foot sled kite... pictures to follow.
Red Pitaya - SDR Project so far
73 and thanks for reading this far :o)
7995078 Last modified: 2017-03-27 20:25:26, 4417 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page