National Mills Weekend
Marsh Mill is a beautifully restored Grade II* listed tower mill.
It is the tallest in Europe, standing at over seventy feet
Marsh Mill was built in 1794, during the reign of George III, by Ralph Slater, a Fylde millwright who also built Pilling and Clifton Mills. The mill was commissioned and built on land owned by Bold Hesketh and became a prominent landmark. The mill was used to grind various grades of flour by generations of millers.
By the late 1800's more sophisticated steam driven machinery was satisfying the demand for finer grades of flour. Marsh Mill went over to grinding meal for animal feed until 1922 when the Tomlinsons were the last millers. The Mill was used as a cafe in the 1930's but was closed and fell into disrepair.
Marsh mill underwent repair and restoration after it was purchased by Thornton Cleveleys (later Wyre Borough) Council. The mill was restored externally to completion by 'Hansons' and 'Thompsons' and internally most of the machinery is intact. Mr Walter Heapy was a driving force behind the restoration of the mill and he organised a Preservation Committee with the help of the District Council. The mill is now owned by Melrose Investments Ltd.
7992129 Last modified: 2017-03-26 17:13:47, 4488 bytes
You must be logged in to file a report on this page
This callsign does not participate in the QRZ Logbook