QRZ.COM
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
VP8VPC Falkland Islands flag Falkland Islands

Login is required for additional detail.

QSL: direct via VP8LP

Page managed by VP8LP Lookups: 13980

 

Participating in International Marconi Day - see link  http://gx4crc.com/imd-stations/

The call sign VPC was originally allocated to a 5kW spark transmitter built at Stanley in 1911; the station shown was built in 1915 at the West end of Stanley harbour, using a 150kW Marconi spark transmitter with seven 305 foot masts and operating at 60-70 kHz. It began operation in 1916 and was the most remote and the most powerful of a network of stations built for the Royal Navy during the First World War.
 
After the war, it continued to carry commercial traffic to South America for a while but ceased operation in 1922 and the station was mothballed; commercial operations then reverted to the 1911 station.

In 1931, the spark transmitter was dismantled and a new HF transmitter installed enabling direct communication with the UK, and the station provided the islands international communications until after the Second World War when a new station was built near Stanley. The masts were demolished in 1956 but the buildings survived until 1983 when they were demolished following the Falklands conflict.

 

 

Flag Counter

8046415 Last modified: 2017-04-21 18:12:20, 1507 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2017 by QRZ.COM
Sat Nov 18 10:21:00 2017 UTC
CPU: 0.050 sec 57503 bytes mp