QRZ.COM
ad: MyWorld-1
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
W3T USA flag USA

Login is required for additional detail.

QSL: via WV2M

Email: Login required to view

Page managed by WV2M Lookups: 1358

 

SPECIAL EVENT STATION W3T ("Washington 3 Towamencin") COMMEMORATING THE 240TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE TOWAMENCIN ENCAMPMENT

 

Oct 8-Oct 16 2017, 0000Z-2359Z, W3T, Harleysville, PA. SSB 14.240 7.240 3.840; CW 14.030 7.030; PSK 14.070 7.070; FT8 14.074 7.074

 

W3T will be transmitting from Towamencin Township where in 1777 (October 8-16, 1777), General George Washington and 11,000 Continental troops camped on the Wampole and neighboring farms.  They shared Towamencin fields and provisions with the residents while resting for a week during the Revolutionary War for Independence. 

 

 

Towamencin Township History

Towamencin Township is located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.  It is 23 miles northwest of Philadelphia.  The first settlers, of German, Welsh, and Dutch descent, arrived in Towamencin Township around the turn of the 18th century. They mainly pursued agricultural endeavors to sustain their livelihood.

The first grant of land in Towamencin Township was in 1703 from William Penn's Commissioners to Benjamin Furley on June 8. The Commissioners granted 1,000 acres to him. On June 17 of that same year, Abraham Tennis and Jan Lucken bought the property from him, and then divided the land in half in 1709. The Edward Morgan Log House stands on land that was part of 600 acres granted to Griffith Jones by the Commissioners. Edward Morgan purchased 309 acres of this land, which included an existing "dwelling house", from Griffith Jones on February 26, 1708. In 1720, his daughter Sarah, who in 1734 would give birth to the famous frontiersman Daniel Boone, married Squire Boone. The land containing the house was then deeded to John Morgan, son of Edward, on August 23, 1723 as part of a 104-acre tract. In March 1728 the settlers of the area petitioned William Penn's Commissioners for Towamencin to become a Township. The request was granted and a charter given. The land was surveyed and recorded, outlining the boundaries of the Township, known as antioch. Those boundaries are similar to what they are today. In the enumeration of 1734 there were 32 landholders within the Township, with William Tennis having the most area at 250 acres.

 

 

Towamencin in The Revolutionary War

Pennsylvania is known as the Keystone State for its role in the Revolution, and as one of the oldest settlements during the time, Towamencin Township played a part: the Township had encampments of soldiers, had many citizens that served, and was the retreating place for General Washington and his troops after the Battle of Germantown.

 

Towamencin Encampment

 

After their October 4, 1777, defeat at the Battle of Germantown, Washington's army retreated along Skippack Pike to Pawling's Mill, beyond the Perkiomen Creek, where they remained encamped until October 8. This is known as the "Skippack Encampment". 

 

 

They then marched east on Skippack Pike, turned left on Forty-Foot Road (present-day Old Forty-Foot Road), and marched to Sumneytown Pike, where they camped on the property of Frederick Wampole near Kulpsville in Towamencin Township. While there, Brig. Gen. Francis Nash died of wounds incurred at Germantown and was buried in the Mennonite Meeting Cemetery. Washington remained at Towamencin for one week, gathering supplies and waiting to see if Howe would move against him.

On October 16, Washington moved his forces to Methacton Hill in Worcester Township. After learning of Howe's withdrawal from Germantown to Philadelphia, Washington moved his army to Whitpain, 5 miles closer to Philadelphia, on October 20. On October 29, Washington's army numbered 8,313 Continentals and 2,717 militia, although the terms of enlistment of many soldiers from Maryland and Virginia were due to expire. With his ranks reinforced, Washington dispatched a brigade to assist with the defense of Forts Mifflin and Mercer, on the Delaware River. On November 2, at the recommendation of his council of war, Washington marched his forces to White Marsh, approximately 13 miles northwest of Philadelphia. At White Marsh, the army began to build redoubts and defensive works.

 

 

 

Towamencin Encampment Summary

  • There were actually two Continental Army encampments in Towamencin.  The first was before the Battle of Germantown (October 4, 1777) and is known as the "Heckler Plains Encampment".

 

  • The second and the one this special event is commemorating was from October 8, 1777 to October 16, 1777.
  • The Continental Army troops were in Towamencin from October 8, 1777 to October 16, 1777 and camped in the Northern section of the Township. The Township provided a secure area to rest, without fear of surprise attack by the Brittish.
  • Washington commandeered Frederick Wampole's house to establish his quarters and conducted military duties from there. The house was located on Detwiler Road.
  • General Francis Nash was wounded at the Battle of Germantown and was carried from Germantown to Towamencin. He was cared for at the Mennonite Meeting House, along with other wounded men of the Battle of Germantown. He died two days later and is buried there.
  • It was reported that Henry Cassel, whose land was used as an encampment by the Colonists, submitted to the Continental Congress an estimate of damages to his property by Washington's Army. The damage was to 696 fence rails used for firewood. The cost to replace those rails was 8.14 pounds. It is not known whether the newly formed government paid.

 

Continental Army Soldiers (Riflemen in White)

 

Continental Officer

 

Officers Tent As It Would Have Been At Encampment

 

Encampment Troops At Drill

    

 

Typical Pottery Kiln At Time of Encampment

 

Memorial Marker for General Nash Buried At Encampment Site

 

Memorial to General Nash And Other Officers Who Died During The Encampment

 

Grave of General Nash Buried At Encampment Site

 

Towamencin Encampment Special Event Station

Oct 8-Oct 16, 0000Z-2359Z, W3T, Harleysville, PA. SSB 14.240 7.240 3.840; CW 14.030 7.030; PSK 14.070 7.070; FT8 7.074 14.074

 

The location of the special event station is about 100 yards from the march route (Old Forty Foot Road) and 1/4 mile from the Mennonite Meeting House where General Nash is buried.

 

QSL INFORMATION: 

 

 

Requests for QSL cards for the Towamencin Encampment must be accompanied by SASE.  DX stations please send US $2 and SAE.

Send SASE to:

Frank Gallo, WV2M

106 Tweed Way

Harleysville, PA  19438

 

 

8377041 Last modified: 2017-10-08 19:01:13, 15633 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

Public Logbook data is temporarily not available for this user
ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2017 by QRZ.COM
Tue Nov 21 19:32:53 2017 UTC
CPU: 0.054 sec 71429 bytes mp