QRZ.COM
ad: SOTA-1
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
WW2DEM USA flag USA

Login is required for additional detail.

QSL: PLEASE QSL VIA MAIL WITH SASE

Page managed by WB2LQF Lookups: 3225

 

The  above picture (1July2014) shows USS SLATER, accompanied by tugs Margot and Francis, proceding northbound up the Hudson River after a three month stay in drydock at Caddell's Shipyard in Staten Island, NY.  While there, SLATER received a major hull overhaul and was repainted in the authentic "dazzle" paint scheme she wore in 1945.  This camoflage scheme was not intended to make the ship "invisible" but rather it was meant to make it more difficult to judge her distance, direction, and size -- all important factors in setting up a torpedo attack on her.  The puff of white smoke, visible in this picture, is from her forward 3"/.50 caliber canon which SLATER fired as she passed Poughkeepsie.

USS SLATER (DE766) was commissioned in 1944. SLATER escorted convoys in the North Atlantic to the United Kingdom and later in the Pacific to the Phillipines and Japan. After the war, she was transferred to the Greek Navy where she served for 40 years. Returned to the United States in 1991 by the Destroyer Escort Sailors Association, she has been restored to original 1945 condition including 3 inch, 40mm and 20mm guns, forward firing "hedgehogs" and depth charges. Radio receivers, transmitters, antennas and radars are authentic. Moored in Albany, NY, SLATER is open to the public. Please visit our website at www.ussslater.org.

USS SLATER is the last remaining WWII destroyer escort that remains afloat in America and which has been restored to its authentic wartime conditon.

The following picture shows the main radio room, "Radio Central."

A crew of volunteer radiomen maintain and operate the SLATER's vintage equipment as well as a modern 100 watt CW/SSB transceiver

                                                                            

 In the following photo, volunteer Joe Breyer N2LL, who is also a retired Navy RM 1/c, operates the crown jewel aboard SLATER - the vintage (and rare!) RCA TBL-8 on 40 meters.  The TBL-8, seen on the right, was restored in 2006 by Tom Horsfall WA6OPE in California and then shipped east, along with its motor-generator, to complete SLATER's 1945 Radio Central restoration.  Together with the RBC receiver and a Navy straight key or bug, the TBL-8 is periodically on the air, capable of either 100 watts AM or 400 watts CW.  This TBL-8 transmitter stands nearly six feet tall, weighs 850 pounds and has quite a history.  It was built in 1942 and installed on the USS CLAMP (ARS33), a submarine rescue and salvage vessel.  The CLAMP had a significant history which this TBL-8 shares.  She earned numerous battle ribbons for action in the Pacific theatre, especially off Okinama, where CLAMP dodged kamikazes and then captured Japanese POWs.  After the war, the CLAMP towed the "war prize" Japanese battleship IJN NAGAR to Bikini Atoll where it was sunk as a target in the 1946 atomic bomb tests.  CLAMP's TBL-8, which now stands proudly in the SLATER's main radio room was used to carry traffic about these affairs. 

QSL INFO:

USS Slater Radio, WW2DEM

PO BOX 1926

Albany, NY 12201-1926

WW2DEM, which stands for "World War II Destroyer Escort Museum", is frequently on the amateur bands to give hams the opportunity to work a piece of history. Those who work the USS SLATER and wish to receive a QSL should send their own QSL and a "SASE" (a stamped, self-addressed envelope).

WW2DEM operates most Saturdays on 7062 CW; 7262 SSB and/or 14062 CW; 14262 SSB

ABOUT  THE WW2DEM AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT

The amateur station consists of a 100 watt Elecraft K2 which is operated on both CW and SSB. Only the vintage maritime antennas are used. These consist of 70 and 80 foot wire verticals running to the port and starboard yardarms, a 100 foot long wire running from midship to the fantail, and a 190 foot wire that runs from midship to the fantail and then back up to the main mast. An Elecraft KAT2 tuner does the matching.

Because this is a museum ship that has been accurately restored to 1945 condiiton, the amateur station is hidden in a period navy cabinet as seen below:

The paddle is a Tony Baleno, N3ZN ZN-9 which he generously donated to the USS SLATER.  Dale Putnam, WC7S, built up, installed and tested the Elecraft KPA-100 amplifier and KAT2 tuner.

The following picture shows the long wire grounding system

The 190' long wire is shown below; the 100 foot long wire runs parallel

Below, the insulators for the two long wire antennas.

7775201 Last modified: 2016-12-21 23:38:19, 6536 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.


Apply for a new Vanity callsign...

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

QRZ Logbook Summary for - WW2DEM

This callsign does not participate in the QRZ Logbook

ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2017 by QRZ.COM
Mon Feb 20 01:35:45 2017 UTC
CPU: 0.091 sec 64609 bytes mp