QRZ.COM
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
GB2SL England flag England

Login is required for additional detail.

Page managed by G7LRR Lookups: 4107

 

Sprun Point Lighthouse,s

First lighthouse built: 1427

Current lighthouse built: 1893-1995

Height: 128ft (39m)

Steps: 145

Made of: 300, 000 Staffordshire bricks

Designed by: Thomas Matthews

Built by: Strattens of Edinburgh

Last day of use: 31st October 1985

Location: End of Spurn Point

Humber Fortress DX Amateur Radio Club The Voice of the Humber Estuary !

Please sign our Guestbook

Club website Link

Fort Paull website Link

QSL Info:

Bureu is free / Direct via the QSL manager (G1TDN) with a S.A.S.E (UK) or $2 to cover postage. Please note - IRCs are now no longer valid in the UK.

 

LAT : 53.578978n

LNG : 0.06.33 E

LOC : JO Ø3 BN

NGR : TA 41153 11282

WAB : TA-41

Lighthouses :

UK0080=Spurn Point High (UK0080)
UK0081=Spurn Point Low (UK0081)

Spurn Head (old) : A2424X

Spurn Head (high) : A2424Y

Spurn Head (low) : A2425X

 

 

There have been lighthouses on Spurn since 1427 because of the dangerous currents and sandbanks that lie beneath the Humber's surface. There is little record of what Spurn's earlier lighthouses looked like, but we do know they have been built in pairs since 1674 and at least eight have been swept away in storms. They were built in twos (called high and low lights) to help sailors navigate in the Humber estuary. In 1852 the last, and still standing, low light was built. However when the present lighthouse was built the low light was no longer needed as three additional lamps were placed in the body of the lighthouse instead. It has since been used as an explosive store and a water tower. Now it stands deserted.

Thomas Matthews designed the present lighthouse in 1895 when the previous one was discovered to be cracking. It stands on an artificial rock foundation that goes down 22 feet (7m) and took nearly two years to build. Later the oil lamp was converted to electricity (1941) and gas (1957) on which it ran until 1985 when it was last used.

 

Spurn Lighthouse

 

 

First lighthouse built: 1427

Current lighthouse built: 1893-1995

Height: 128ft (39m)

Steps: 145

Made of: 300, 000 Staffordshire bricks

Designed by: Thomas Matthews

Built by: Strattens of Edinburgh

Last day of use: 31st October 1985

Location: End of Spurn Point

Access: No public access inside. Sited on National Nature Reserve. Charge for vehicle entry to reserve. No dogs permitted on reserve.

The lighthouse is managed by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. Visit their website to find out more.

 


8238724 Last modified: 2017-07-26 20:01:57, 8363 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

Public Logbook data is temporarily not available for this user
ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2017 by QRZ.COM
Sun Aug 20 02:24:39 2017 UTC
CPU: 0.053 sec 64806 bytes mp