QRZ.COM
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
N8EMA USA flag USA

Login is required for additional detail.

QSL: jeff@n8ema.com

Email: Login required to view

Premium Subscriber Lookups: 13666


Thanks for looking me up:

 Station is an Icom 7300 with an endfed 133' inverted "V"  running 100 Watts

 The Village of Amelia is Clermont County ’s only incorporated village that was never formally laid out.  The village lies in Batavia and Pierce Townships .  The Batavia Township survey was made for Robert Gibbons of Yorktown , Va. , on April 15, 1788 .  The Pierce Township survey was made for Robert Baylor of Logan Co., Ky. , on the same day.  John O’Bannon was the deputy surveyor.  Nicholas Kellar and Archelus Price were the chain carriers and John Ormsley, the marker man, in Batavia, and William and Isaac Kees, the chain carriers, and John Brady, the marker man, in Pierce. 

 

                            Amelia was incorporated on December 20, 1900

   

                                                 

 The first homes in the village were log cabins believed to have been built in the north and west parking lots of the present Amelia United Methodist Church (19 E. Main St,).  Here, David Jernegan and John O. Butler built a sawmill in 1862 or 1827.  From this, other mills were built in the village that soon caused the area to be called Milltown, a named soon slurred into Milton. The first settler may have been an Irishman, Daniel Kirgan (or Kergan) who settled on the western edge of Amelia in 1809.

 When a post office was established on February 25, 1836 , it was not given the name Milton because a post office of that name already existed in Ohio .  The name chosen was Amelia, after Amelia Bowdoin, the well known and popular operator of the tollgate on the Ohio Turnpike.  Her home still stands at 94 W. Main St. , across the street from where it stood when it served as the tollhouse.

 John S. Johnston, who carried some of his goods around in a large trunk, operated the first store.  The main street was the Ohio Turnpike (present Main Street/S.R. 125).  It was built in 1831 by E. G. Penn; his home stood along the turnpike (present Apple Hill Apartments, 29 E. Main St .). U.S. Congressman Charles Cyrus Kearns married Lena Penn, E.G.’s daughter.  U.S. Speaker of the House, Nicholas Longworth, and his wife Alice Roosevelt, (daughter of Theodore Roosevelt) visited the Kearns.

 The Amelia section of S.R. 125 was widened to four lanes and concreted in 1951.  The rails of the Cincinnati , Georgetown , & Portsmouth Railroad reached Amelia in 1878.  It was in service until April 20, 1935 .  It crossed Main Street just east of 81 W. Main St ,. Where its station had been.  The Interurban Railway and Terminal Co. began operation on June 16, 1903 .  Nicknamed “The Black Line” because of the dark green cars used by the IR&T, it stopped service on May 5, 1918 .  Its rail ran along the middle of the Ohio Pike.  It had a turnaround spot at 13 W. Main St.

 The first telephone in town was in the Beeler house ( 22 E. Main St .).  Amelia has or had many well known homes.  Mid-Maples or Thomas-Fuller House ( 119 W. Main St. ) is believed to have been a speakeasy during the days of prohibition (1920s-1930s).  Kearns served in the U.S. House (1915-31), his home stood at 66W. Main St .  Nellie Mattox, one of Clermont County ’s last Justices of the Peace, held court in her home in the second house east of the NE corner of Main Street and Hopkins Ave.

T he oldest building is believed to be the Morse House that stood on the SE corner of Main and Oak streets (present site 44 Oak St .).  It was built in the 1850’s by Increase Sumner Morse who died here in 1875.

 The most historic building in town is the Knights of Phythias building ( 41 W. Main St. ) that was built in the 1850’s.  It has served as the village hall, Amelia High School ’s graduation hall and gymnasium, motion picture theatre, war munitions factory, and hosted Farmers Institutes among its many activities.


 Amelia has what was believed to be the United States ’ largest gold fish farm.  The Glen Mary Fish Farm operated on 35 acres beginning in 1913.  Frank Hitchcock owned and operated the farm that was at the end of the street named in his honor.  The Pommert family owned and operated one of the largest gladiola farms in the nation.  It stood on the south side of Main Street .

8584124 Last modified: 2018-01-16 03:49:45, 5376 bytes

Login Required

Login is required for additional detail.


Apply for a new Vanity callsign...

You must be logged in to file a report on this page

Please login now...

QRZ Logbook Summary for - N8EMA
Latest Contacts for N8EMA at QRZ.com
dedateband mode grid Country op
W2GOR 2018-01-16 40m LSB FN30AS14 United States Gordon S Barry
KC1BTA 2018-01-15 40m LSB FN32pd United States Jason S Phillips
VE3AJM 2018-01-15 40m AM FN04re Canada Albert Santangelo
KI4SVM 2018-01-15 40m LSB EM84qm United States PATRICK B HARRIS III
KJ4ZMV 2018-01-14 40m LSB EM78ch United States Terrance L White
N4QNT 2018-01-14 40m LSB EM96xc United States ARTHUR J CAICO
WD9SEF 2018-01-14 40m LSB EN54ev United States Larry Schroeder
N4WQB 2018-01-14 20m USB EL98pj United States ERIC V BERGER
W8MLS 2018-01-13 40m LSB FM19bg United States Michael L Stutler
KE5PYX 2018-01-13 40m LSB EM20vj United States Ricky Adams
K4JEE 2018-01-10 80m USB EM78bd United States RONALD G LARDNER
KE8BHP 2018-01-09 40m LSB EN74NI75 United States James P Benvin
W7CI 2018-01-07 15m USB DM41un United States STEPHEN F WAGNER
XE2AD 2018-01-07 17m USB EK08jw Mexico DAVID MORO-FRIAS
VE3VCV 2018-01-05 40m LSB FN04ll Canada Gordon Lightfoot

Book Totals: 15 qso's   1 confirmed Get a free logbook at QRZ.COM


c
ad: giga-db
Copyright © 2018 by QRZ.COM
Thu Jan 18 23:51:04 2018 UTC
CPU: 0.047 sec 74630 bytes mp